Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Adding a Punch of Color



While I was traveling in Rome, I happened to walk by a wedding dress shop. Of course I did what every girl does, and stopped in my tracks to look in wonder at the beautiful gowns inside. Every detail seemed to pop out and every gown was different. Each one meant for a specific bride. After finally forcing myself to keep walking, I came across an Italian version of the wedding edition of Vogue. Even though it was all in Italian and I couldn’t actually read it, I found myself enthralled with the magazine. The funny thing I found was even though I could see similarities with the weddings on the United States, there seemed to be something unique about these dresses. It has been said that it takes about a year for the trends from Europe to come to the United States.

What I began to notice as I was flipping through the magazine was the subtle pop of color that was appearing on the dresses. It was unexpected but I found myself drawn to it. One thinks of a plain white, cream, ivory, or some version of those colors as the wedding dress, but who would have thought to add a punch of a red or navy. As I recall, the first time I ever saw a wedding dress like that was the wedding of Trista and Ryan from The Bachelor and her dress had hot pink accents. Obviously color catches your eye and it makes the dress stand out. I know find myself quite fond of the simple touches of color on a wedding dress. Though it is a move away from the traditional, but as I have discovered it is becoming more and more popular to twist the traditional in all aspects of the weddings.

Italy was a source of inspiration for me and every day, I find myself looking back to my experiences there and find a way to combine them with the things that are popular here. Though it takes a while for trends to make their way to the United States, it is definitely worth the wait.

Written by: Jenna Howe

Wedding Coordinator

Green Lily Events

No comments:

Post a Comment